Respect Life Walk Recap

Sunday, October 18, 2009

I forgot to write an update on the Respect Life Walk in downtown Boston that happened two weeks ago. Matthew ended up coming with me (his first ever pro-life walk), which was fun. He made me laugh the whole time.

There was a pretty good turnout, maybe around 1,000 people and a good many priests were there too, which was reassuring. They had set up a bunch of tables with representatives from different pro-life organizations, so we toured around a little before the walk began. The man running the Walk, I forget his name, was Jewish, which I thought was great since Christians (particularly Catholics) tend to dominate the pro-life movement.

I tend to have mixed emotions when it comes to the infusing of religion into the movement. Of course, being Catholic, I love seeing other Catholics living out their faith, and I understand that one's faith is oftentimes inextricably linked to being pro-life, but at the same time, I don't think the pro-life movement needs to be a religious movement. Abortion is a human rights issue, without the right to life, all other rights are meaningless. I think if we were to keep the discussion on that level we might have more success converting people to our cause. Needless to say, it's important to pray to end abortion, but I don't know if we need to carry a picture of Mary through the streets to make our point. I fear that singing Ave Maria or praying the Rosary (out loud) during such walks can be polarizing to people of other faiths (like the aforementioned Jewish man), or people of no faith. I worry that such actions allow the opposition to typecast us as those crazy pro-lifers and religious nutcases and essentially ignore our message. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? What do you think?

On a positive note, everyone was so nice to little ol' me. I must admit, it was quite fun being pregnant and attending the Walk. Everyone smiled and wanted to know when the baby was due, I felt a little like a celebrity. Ha. Hopefully next year we will have any even bigger turnout! I know there will be one more little pro-lifer in attendance next year.:)

1 comment:

  1. I think your post is so interesting, and the topic of whether or not to bring religion into the debate is an excellent question. So many people are turned off by religious arguments for protecting life. You're right that it is first and foremost a human rights issue, and if anything, any rational person should be able to see that or be educated to see that. Our religious claims only enhance a fuller understanding of what is owed to humans by their dignity in Christ. Honestly, I don't know the answer, but I do know that in my classroom, we discuss it from a sociological, scientific, and psychological perspective before I bring religion into the mix. Maybe you can come to DC and be a guest speaker!

    Sorry for the long post. You just brought up a good point. And how beautiful to be pregnant on the walk!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design