Surprise Baby Shower

Monday, November 23, 2009
Last Sunday my mother in law threw me a surprise baby shower. Usually I tend to anticipate surprises or find a way to figure out the surprise before it actually happens, but not this time. I love surprises, but I also love knowing when and where they’re going to happen, I know, I’m a walking contradiction. I was the kid who would search high and low every year until I found my Christmas presents. Poor Santa, he never had a chance with me. But this time, I was absolutely and completely surprised.

My husband (who was in on the whole thing) told me we were stopping by his mother’s to pick up his niece, whom we were going to take into Boston for the day. Thank goodness I actually took a shower and put on makeup because even though my hair looks a bit horrendous in the baby shower video, it could have been a lot worse, let me tell you. I was in shock when we walked in the door, and a bit disoriented for a good 20 minutes. At first I didn’t want to look like I just assumed that “oh yes, this surprise baby shower is for me” (because what if it wasn’t) so I tried to play a bit aloof for a while. Fortunately, my MIL promptly sat me down in a chair and started handing me presents. It was so fun opening all the presents. Baby showers are so much better than bridal showers. There’s nothing cute or exciting about a set of plates, but little baby booties and itty bitty clothes, now that’s something women can ooh and ahh about. And we did just that, for about 45 minutes. I was given so many nice gifts and was truly touched by everyone’s generosity.

Matthew’s family has always been so kind to me, despite the fact that I’m a lot younger than most of them. At most family functions, I tend to hang out with his 18 year old niece because one, she’s probably the female relative closest in age to me and two, she reminds me of my sisters. Speaking of which, I do wish my mom and grandmothers and sisters could have been there. Maybe we’ll have a California baby shower for the next baby.

Anyways, a few of my favorite gifts were our stroller. Oh my gosh, I love this stroller. I want to take it for a walk along the beach near our house just to practice using it, I love it that much. But that may look a little weird, a pregnant lady pushing an empty stroller. Whatever. We were also given a beautiful glider that I insisted everyone try out because it’s that comfortable. Plus a set of baby uggs, that no camera can capture how cute they are, and a million and one other super nice gifts. I feel like we’re almost ready for baby, almost.

Here's a pic of our beloved stroller:

2 comments:

  1. that is so nice of them! glad they "got you!"
    awesome stroller!
    post the video they took of the surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerry,

    I tried posting the video, but it didn't seem to work, which I'm kinda glad about. Trust me, you really don't want to see how awful my hair looked. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design