Waiting

Monday, November 30, 2009

Waiting, I’ve come to learn, is not my forte. It’s not that I’m an impatient person, per se, but I just don’t wait very well. I fuss and muss, check the clock and the calendar, attempting in any way I can to manipulate time to speed up. It is fitting, therefore, that I am compelled to endure these last few weeks of my pregnancy during the Advent Season, a time when all are called to wait in joyful hope for the coming of Our Lord.

Initially, I felt a little guilty that our child was going to be born right after Christmas. From what I’ve heard, most Christmas time birthdays tend to get neglected or brushed aside. Either birthday presents are combined with Christmas presents or family and friends are just too tired from celebrating Christmas to have much energy to rejoice in yet another birthday.

But now as the time of my child’s birth is quickly approaching, I realize what a gift it is, for both my child and me, to be sharing the journey of birth with Our Lady and her most beloved Son. The Christmas season seems all the more real as I imagine Mary and I enduring these last few weeks of our pregnancies together. How blessed am I that I am allowed to share all the little trials of pregnancy right along with her? Together we experience the struggle to get comfortable, the sore feet and back, the anxieties of preparing the home for an infant and making sure the baby will have everything he needs. (Granted, I don’t have to worry about traveling hundreds of miles on a donkey in the winter cold, or being forced to give birth in an unheated manger with oxen and lambs as birthing attendants.)

And if my child should be born on or near Christmas Day, what a blessing for my child, to share a birthday with God! It seems that there are numerous women in the blogsphere expecting Christmas time babies and I can’t help but wonder if God planned it that way. If He wishes to share his birthday with as many little children as He can? What a lovely image.

So during this 2009 Advent Season, I bind myself ever closer to Our Lady as I wait, as she waits, as the whole world waits and I realize that perhaps this year I will learn to wait gracefully.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful reflection and something that I'm sure Our Lady is pleased to know that you recognize as a gift. I have a few friends who have birthdays close to Christmas, but their families always managed to keep both very special!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design