Jinxed

Wednesday, December 30, 2009
So just last week I was thinking to myself how lucky I’ve been with this pregnancy. Right from the start, this baby has been healthy and strong and very easy. I’m hoping he or she continues this trend outside of the womb too. I never really had morning sickness or any other sort of pregnancy ailments. I’m healthy, the baby’s healthy, what more could I ask for?

I totally jinxed myself.

Perhaps because I was thinking how wonderful everything has been, the universe decided to intervene and make things a bit more difficult for me. Last Wednesday, I received a telephone call from the director of the birthing center. She was calling to let me know that the birthing center had a bad fire, which burned down part of the building. The timeline for necessary renovations would mean that the birthing center wouldn’t be available until the middle or end of January. Ha! Of course the birthing center burned down two weeks before I’m supposed to give birth, of course it did.

So instead of giving birth in the comforts of an old Victorian home, I’ll be having the baby at the hospital across the street. Actually, all things considering, I’m fine with this. The care will still be the same, meaning I’ll still be giving birth naturally with a midwife. Plus, the director said the hospital gave the birthing center two rooms and they’ve brought over a bunch of things from the birthing center and decorated the rooms to make them look as much as possible like the rooms at the birthing center. During my appointment tomorrow we’ll be able to check out the rooms.

I think the director felt really bad about the whole situation. But I told her, what could she do, it's not their fault there was a fire. These things happen. Stressing about it is not going to solve anything.

Being a parent is learning to adjust on the fly, right? So we adjust. As long as I am still able to have a natural birth and the baby comes out healthy, all is well. It really doesn’t matter where I have the baby. As I told Matthew, one benefit of having the baby at the hospital is that the hallways are longer, which means I’ll be able to walk around more. (I’m trying to look on the bright side here.)You have to laugh though, it’s almost too funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design