Special Intentions?

Friday, January 8, 2010
“Let us strive to face suffering with Christian courage. Then all difficulties will vanish and pain itself will become transformed into joy.”
~St. Teresa of Avila


One of the many things I love about being Catholic is our belief in the merit and meaning of suffering. As I am about to embark upon what could possibly (and probably) be the most painful and physically challenging experience of my life, I am hoping to meet this suffering with what St. Teresa called “Christian courage,” and to transform the pains of childbirth into a beautiful gift for God.

About a year ago, I read about the idea of offering up the pains of childbirth for certain intentions. At the time I thought it was such a beautiful notion and hoped that one day I would be able to do the same. Well, here I am about to give birth, with the opportunity before me. I’ve decided that my general intention will be for friends and for women who are hoping to conceive a child soon. Because we waited 11 long months for this pregnancy, I feel on some small level a kinship with women struggling with infertility and those couples forced to wait for a very much longed for child. Infertility, especially for Catholic women, can be heart wrenching. If I can ameliorate their suffering in any way, I hope to do it.

However, with that said, if you have any special intentions you would like me to remember during my labor, please leave a comment or email me. I promise not to forget you.

“Suffering out of love for God is a signal favor, but we do not realize this. For we thank God for prosperity and take no heed that afflictions would be a much greater grace.”
~St. Joseph of Cupertino

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea, Jennie!
    I had a little list with me of people to pray for during labor, it helped a lot.

    You know my intention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good to do this. I've had several friends who said that the experience of offering up their pain was incredibly moving. I hope you are able to call on our Blessed Mother as well! My intention is a healthy baby for you, so maybe that will just be cyclical...but go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful idea Jennie. My intentions all involve motherhood, and as general as that may be, God knows the details, so I'd be so grateful! Thank you!!! I'll be praying too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this, Jennie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design