Sew Excited!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The blog post title is corny, I know. However, in my attempt to become more crafty I've signed up for a sewing class, and I never thought I'd say this, but I am soo excited! There's a little studio in our town that offers classes, twice weekly for one month and it only costs $120, isn't that wonderful? I plan on using my tax refund to pay for the classes and to buy an inexpensive sewing machine, any recommendations?

The class, which doesn't begin until May, will teach me how to make a book bag, skirt and pajama pants, at least that's what they claim. I'm really looking forward to learning how to sew PJ pants because I intend to give them as Christmas presents this year(now that's planning ahead). And I may be getting a little ahead of myself here, but once I learn the basics I hope to sew little smock dresses for Hannah. I've already started looking at fabrics online to make the dresses with (I really like the designs in the picture), okay now I'm really getting ahead of myself.

Truth be told, I'm hoping this class will help me to better emulate the woman in Proverbs 31. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have so very few homemaking skills, but sadly I think that's typical for women of my generation. My mom and my grandmother both know how to sew. In fact, my mom made some of my clothes growing up and I loved them (remember that windbreaker, Mom?). Somehow homemaking skills became one of the many casualties of the sexual revolution, but I don't care what the neo-feminists say, I take great pride in preparing a delicious homecooked meal for my family, in keeping a tidy house and hopefully one day soon, in sewing little skirts for my daughter.

3 comments:

  1. omg I love this. (Although I have no passion for sewing, myself). I look forward to seeing what you create!
    You need this necklace: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=43763803

    And, you NEED these fabrics: http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love the necklace! I'll totally make you and Isabel matching pajama bottoms! Won't that be fun? Haha, I'm such a nerd...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Jennie...sewing provides a lot of gratification, but be patient with yourself and the material!! That is a must :) I do remember that windbreaker, and I can't wait to see your upcoming creations. Have fun with the class.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design