The 100 Thing Challenge

Friday, October 29, 2010

Have you heard of the 100 Thing Challenge? Started by a blogger earlier this year, he decided to minimalize his life and attempt to live with only 100 personal items. Wow, what a challenge, right?

Apparently this phenomenon has caught on and minimalists everywhere are reducing the amount of material items they own. They claim their inspiration or catalyst for this challenge was brought on by the economic downturn and readjusting their perception of need. While a minimalist myself, I don’t think I could get down to 100 items. I easily have over 100 books alone and would have trouble parting with any. But I love the idea of reassessing what we think we need on a day to day basis. We really don’t need all that much.

In the spirit of the 100 thing challenge, I’ve been thinning my wardrobe and getting rid of a lot of clothes. I’ve had to be realistic about what I won’t and can’t wear anymore (thank you breastfeeding). I found this great consignment store (where I bought Hannah’s monkey costume) that has accepted most of my clothes and I’ve already made about $50 selling my clothes through them. Now I’m on a roll and have to restrain myself from selling all my clothes.:)

But it's a good lesson in what matters and what lasts. And that really we should only invest in what lasts in life. People, relationships, faith.

Do you think you could take on the 100 thing challenge?

4 comments:

  1. um, no. I don't think I could do it, but I love the intention! I do give things to goodwill on a frequent basis.

    Now, about selling back your clothes-- awesome. I guess you had more luck than that one time we went to our fav. store on Shattuck...and they would not buy back any of my non-name-brand stuff!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, goodness, I would love to try!! Watching "Hoarders" helps... ha! I am not a hoarder, but I still want to keep getting rid... (With eight kids, this is not easy...)

    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ker, yeah, times have changed since my days of rejection from Crossroads. Haha.

    Hi Leila, thanks so much for commenting on my blog. I feel like a celebrity has stopped by! I have only one kid and I feel like she has tons of stuff, so I can only imagine how much stuff eight kids must accumulate:) Thanks again for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jennie,
    Just found your post through Google. Have you read the book? I read it last month and have decided to start my own challenge, but one of the rules is that each challenge is personal to the person who decided to undergo it...
    Dave Bruno himself says he could never reduce his library, and as the challenge is less about the number of items you own and more about breaking free of the consumerist culture, he vows to keep 'one library'. I am going to do this too, as like you say, I have well over 100 books and no intentions of getting rid of any of them!!

    Anyways, just thought you ought to know!

    Take care, God bless,
    Ami :) x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design