What I've Learned From Motherhood

Friday, November 5, 2010

There's a cute little article over at Alphamom Blog titled 16 Things I Have Learned From Being a Mother.

The author writes the most important lessons of parenting are rarely “about the big issues: breast vs. bottle, to circumcise or not, cry it out or never sleep again. No, the things that matter most are the little things, the small lessons we pick up along the way.”

Here are a few little gems:
3: One day your child will shout that he hates you. Although you logically know this isn’t true, it will cut you to your core. Take solace in the fact that this means you are doing your job right. You aren’t your child’s friend. You are their parent. You probably hate you too, sometimes.

4: When your kids are behaving in a way that makes you least want to give them affection and attention, that is precisely when they need it the most.

6: You can never have too many vases. If you are lucky they will always be filled with flowers. Sometimes those flowers will look an awful lot like dandelion heads. You will love them the best.

16: Never underestimate the healing power of a good cocktail at the end of the day.

You can read the whole list here.

A few of my own I would like to add would be: You will do things as a mother that 10 or 15 years ago would have made you gag. Now you will do them without batting an eye. I know a day or two after Hannah was born she had a booger in her nose that I fished out. I remember thinking then, "it's official, I'm a Mom, I'm picking someone else's nose." Thinking of it now, I don't consider that gross at all.

Also, before becoming a mother I had endless theories on parenthood and the best way to raise a child. Just ten months later, I am way less judgemental. Mothers must do what works for their kids and their families. Period. Just because I don't cloth diaper my child does not mean I'm a bad person.

What would you add to the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design