7 Quick Takes...On Monday

Monday, January 31, 2011

We’ve had some major colds in our household the last few days and I’ve been feeling like crud. Thus, this post is a few days late, I apologize.

Anyways, I thought it would be fun to write about 7 books I’ve recently read or am currently reading. In no particular order, here they are:

1)Unplanned by Abby Johnson. This book truly deserves a whole post unto itself. The story of a former Planned Parenthood Director and her slow conversion to the pro-life cause. At first I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to read it. The first chapter is just brutal, as she describes her assistance with an ultrasound guided abortion in horrific detail. I didn’t want to read it, but couldn’t manage to put it down. It was that compelling. And to see the quiet unfolding of God’s plan in her life, all that was orchestrated to bring her to the Truth was extremely moving. Bonus, I just heard today on the radio that she’s planning on converting to Catholicism! Although, truth be told, you could see that happening from a mile away while reading her story. This book is a must read.

2)Dead Aid by Dambisa Moyo. I saw the author interviewed on TV a few years ago and was extremely intrigued with her claims that the vast sums of aid money given to African countries by foreign governments in fact keeps them in a perpetual state of poverty and economic and political infancy. The author, an African, is a Harvard economist and a former Wall Street banker (legitimate credentials in my book). While her arguments are considered controversial in the global economics arena, I tend to agree with everything she says.


3)The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Juliet Ashton. I loved this book! Such an interesting and fun read. The setting of the book (the Channel Islands), the time period (post WWII) and the structure and style of the story are all very unique. The book is written as a series of letters between the characters as they attempt to rebuild their homes and their lives immediately following the end of WWII.

4)Crocheting for Dummies. This book doesn’t really need an explanation does it? Except, I do wish the instruction had been a tad more simplified. Geesh, what does that say about me? How sad is that.


5)Before I Go by Peter Kreeft. This is one book I pick up from time to time simply to relish in Professor Kreeft's humor and wisdom. The book, written by Peter Kreeft (love him), is a series of short letters to his children about what matters most in life. A definite must for any parents’ library. (Bonus: my copy is signed with a note from Professor Kreeft to me. Matthew works with him from time to time and asked him to sign my copy. Yay for me!)

6)Pope Benedict and the Sexual Abuse Crisis bv Gregory Erlandson and Matthew Bunson. This book also deserves (and will receive) a post entirely unto itself. It’s a book I was curious to read and am supposed to write a review for the Catholic Company. The review has taken me several months to write, primarily because I can’t quite decide how I want to say what I want to say. Make sense? The book is written as a defensive expose of the abuse crisis and Pope Benedict’s role in managing the everything during his time as Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (back when he was Cardinal Ratzinger). A provocative read.

7)I guess I don’t currently have a seventh book. Any recommendations?

2 comments:

  1. I have a 7th bk for you....The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin!!!!

    Yes, I finished Unplanned in one afternoon (and stayed up till 1am). seriously could not put it down.

    your other picks sound really interesting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, great, thanks, Kerry! I'll definitely read it:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design