New Year's Resolutions

Monday, January 3, 2011

I just love the New Year. The chance to begin anew, to start fresh, to try again. I find the possibility of a brand new year all invigorating. Plus, it’s a great chance to learn something new or adopt a new hobby. So, naturally, with that being said, I love making New Year resolutions. And generally, I’m pretty good about keeping them. (Except last year when I said I was going to run a marathon after having Hannah. Yeah…that didn’t happen.)

However, this year, my resolutions are nil. This year, I have an overwhelming desire to resist change and simply relish in the status quo and I think a lot of that, most of that, has to do with the fact that another baby is coming in about five months.

Maybe it’s the pregnancy hormones, but any thoughts of change stress me out. I have an overwhelming desire to simply sit on my little nest and gestate. Ha!

It seems so many New Year’s resolutions have something to do with weight loss or physical change. At least that’s what all the magazines would have you believe. Weight loss is a moot point for me right now, which admittedly is kinda fun. Fortunately, there are so many other areas in my life aside from the physical that I can attempt to improve upon.

Every year I say I want to pray more. But since I’ve learned that I don’t do well with vague resolutions, this statement often does very little to inspire me. I am lazy. I need concrete methods to improve my prayer life. The past few months I’ve adopted praying the Angelus daily and have set my cell phone alarm to noon so I can remember to do so. I want to keep that up. I would like to go to Mass, well ideally, every day, but I know myself and I know at this point, that’s not realistic, so I would like to go on additional time each week. So either every Wednesday or Friday I will attend Mass. Our parish is within walking distance to our house, so I really have no excuses. I would also like to try to read the Bible as a family, but at this point I don’t have a specific approach to go about implementing this, any suggestions?

Intellectually, I hope to read and write more. I'm sure more seasoned moms are thinking "with two babies? Yeah, good luck." I plan to finish my thesis and to further research best practices in education. I hope to keep up with the current eductional research despite being home with two little ones.

Emotionally, I want to open myself to living here in Massachusetts. I think with moving several times in the past couple of years, I have closed myself off a little. I figure we may be moving soon, so why bother making friends or putting down roots. I rationalize that when we finally settle down, then I’ll make friends and get involved in the community. But as I recently read somewhere, “our apostolate is where our feet are” (sorry, I can’t find the source of that quote. If you know, please let me know.) With that said, I plan on getting involved in our local pro-life organization, which helps high school girls complete their GED. I am hoping to put myself out there more to meet moms with young children or even single ladies (almost all my friends in NYC were single and we had a blast together).

When I start to think about it, I guess I do have a physical goal: to have a natural birth with this baby. I feel really confident with my midwives and believe I am making the necessary steps to set myself up for success with this baby’s birth. I suppose this topic is entire post in and of itself, so I’ll write more about this later.

Okay, so apparently I do have a few resolution. I could go on and on if I really start to think about it. But these small changes will hopefully help me develop into a better woman, wife and mother. And this year, that’s all I aim to be.

What are your 2011 resolutions?

2 comments:

  1. " sit on my nest and gestate" Oh that would be a quote board quote if I ever read one!!! Love it!

    The Bible reading resolution is a good one, and has been mine after a retreat or two. WE are trying to implement "Bible time" each night (this started during Advent with lighting the wreath and reading scripture)...and we read for a few minutes with Isabel "listening". It's amazing how much they absorb....and us too!

    (as in, we've had to convince her that she is actually NOT the virgin Mary, and Ryan is not Joseph, and I am not the Angel of the Lord. :)

    praying for your resolutions big and small...and the gestating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, you're not the angel Gabriel?!? Haha, I love that. Oh Isabel, you crack me up:)

    That's great that you're trying the Bible reading too. I really want to get on that, for Hannah's sake, but ours as well. Like you say we can absorb so much.

    I've been meaning to email you and see how your Christmas went. We just got back into town Saturday, so things have been a bit hectic, but I promise to email soon.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design