The Name Game

Monday, February 21, 2011

Yesterday, Matthew and I were able to enjoy a nice afternoon date, just the two of us! We went to see the movie, The King's Speech. I definitely recommend it. Then we walked to get an ice cream. We haven't been to the movies since before Hannah was born, so it was pretty exciting for us. We were joking that the film was a good pick for our 2011 movie and we wonder what we'll see in 2012. We're averaging about one trip to the movies per year.

Anyways, we were talking a bit and realized that we were NOT on the same page for this baby's name if it is a boy. I thought we had settled on a name, but Matthew thought we had settled on another name. At least we have the middle name all set and we LOVE the middle name. I really like both names we are/were considering for a boy, it's just that I had it in my head that if a boy, the baby's name would be x and now I have to get used to the idea of y. I'm a bit panicked. At least, I have a couple of months to get used to the idea.

Speaking of sibling names, this website is fun for helping select a name that goes well with the other names you've chosen for your children. Usually it's pretty accurate and recommends names that I really like. For example, right now I'm really liking the girl names Adelaide and Amelia, (Matthew has nixed them both). Although, sometimes the website can be way off base. Yesterday, it suggested the name Rudy. Now, never in my life would I name my child Rudy. No offense to any Rudys out there.

I know I've asked this before, but what are some of your favorite baby names right now?

3 comments:

  1. That movie looks really really good, and we saw the 60 Minutes segment about it last night. Thanks for the recommendation!

    We saw "Tangled" a few weeks ago so that was our 2011, 2010 was "The Blind Side", and.....2007 was "Bella"! Looks like we are similar in our movie going habits! :)

    Glad you could talk about the name thing, that's funny you had different top boy names in your head.

    Do you have "The Baby Name Wizard" book? It does that middle name matching, and the popularity of names since 1900.

    I like Amelia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I saw that Friday and LOVED it! We don't see movies often (although a bit more than once year), so it has to be something we really want to see in order to go, which means we are happily pleased or very disappointed. Not disappointed at all for this one.

    We are trying to get pregnant right now and we already have a top boys name and girls name picked out, so no conflict of interest there, but if we eventually have more than one girl or boy (and we are hoping for a large family, so this hopefully will be a problem!), I have a feeling that we will fight it out to the end on names. But I have to say, I wouldn't mind duking it out over a baby's name since that would mean we had a baby on the way!

    My favorite boys names tend to be traditional...Matthew, David, etc. although not necessarily common (Sebastian).

    I have a different girl's name picked out every week, but I can say I've consistantly liked Paloma and Analiese for quite some time. I didn't mention our "picked out name" because I have a weird fear that saying it would jinx us and we'd never have a girl to name it. Silly, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry~ I'll have to check out the Baby Name Wizard book. Sounds good. And Amelia would sound so cute with Isabel. I'll be praying...

    Mandi~ hi! Welcome to my blog, I'm so glad you took the time to say hello and comment! Thanks!

    I'm with you, we really like traditional boys names. In fact, the name I thought we had settled on was Matthew. But I guess not:) I really like the name David and I love Sebastian too! All good names in my book. I'll be praying you have a chance to use some of your baby names soon:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design