Unplanned

Tuesday, February 22, 2011
“Unplanned.
Everything about my journey since running out of the Planned Parenthood clinic into the waiting arms of the Coalition for Life house was unplanned-by me, I mean. I look back on the journey and see God’s fingerprints all over it, of course. If there is one seed I hope to plant in the heart of everyone who hears my story, it is this: God is worthy of our obedience and trust. When we step out in obedience, God rolls out the red carpet! That doesn’t mean the path will be easy, but it does mean that He has prepared it for us.”

~Unplanned, by Abby Johnson

I've been thinking a lot lately about Abby Johnson's book Unplanned and how much I love the title. It's just so fitting.

Looking back on my own life, I see the best outcomes were always those planned less by me and more by God. Take this pregnancy for instance, not necessarily in my plans (at least, right away), but certainly foreseen by God. It may go entirely against conventional thinking, but in my opinion an “unplanned” pregnancy is such a blessing. When God supersedes our plans He is reminding us that He is in control. And who wouldn’t want the Creator of the Universe directing our lives?

Americans, on the whole, are good planners. We like to map out our lives and follow the yellow brick road to our perfectly designed futures. In fact, even the word “unplanned” carries with it a negative connotation. (As my husband pointed out when I told him about this post. He argued our child wasn’t unplanned because the child was certainly wanted. I said the child was unplanned in the true sense of the word- unexpected, not planned.) Being a Type A personality, I am an OCD type of planner. I plan and plan until there’s nothing to left to plan. I like to attempt to control the uncontrollable. And over time I’ve learned that life is just that, uncontrollable. At first, this discovery left me frustrated and flustered. I believed if I perfectly planned out every last possible detail of living, then by default, my life would be perfect. Unfortunately, or fortunately rather, life does not work that way. If parenthood has taught me anything it is that oftentimes life cannot be scripted.

While unexpected, this unplanned surprise second pregnancy has left me feeling completely overjoyed. It has reinforced the notion that a child is each and every time a gift, no matter what. And it has forced me to relinquish control of my little life. Slowly, I am learning to throw myself with wild abandon into whatever future God may have in mind for me. I have learned that when I let go just a little, God is able to overwhelm me with the joy of something (or someone) unexpected.

This is yet another reason why I fully detest abortion. Apart from all its obvious evils, abortion robs women of the beauty of something unplanned. Through an unexpected pregnancy, God is attempting to give a woman the immeasurable gift of a child. Abortion steals that gift from a woman. Abortion providers (I’m looking at you Planned Parenthood) tell women that nothing good can come from an unplanned life. That is a boldfaced lie.

Life is meant to be a little bit unpredictable, that’s the beauty of it.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. When someone asked if our pregnancies were planned I respond emphatically, "Yes!" God planned each and every one of them.

    I'm a new follower from Catholic Mothers Online…come by for a visit and return the favor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenny and welcome! I'm going to go check out your blog right now. Looking forward to it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read that book the other day (and by the other day, I mean that I read it ALL in one day - it was so great I couldn't put it down). I too am a planner, and just the word "unplanned" is scary for me. I'm starting to learn that if I want to respond to God, I'm going to have to get used to the unplanned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that quote "Abortion robs women of the beauty of something unplanned". So true.

    I'm so excited to start our 40 Days campaign here after reading that book.

    Ryan just finished it and thinks it'd be a good movie. Ya think? :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design