Washington Post Letter to the Editor

Sunday, February 20, 2011
My brilliant and clever friend, Kerry, just had her letter to the editor published in the Washington Post. She wrote in response to a man who was upset about the term "baby" being used instead of "fetus" in an article about prenatal surgery patients. Sigh. His letter is here, if you care to read it.

Here is Kerry's response. Don't you love it?

Letter writer Tony Gorman [Free for All, Feb. 12] chastised The Post for characterizing prenatal surgery patients as "babies" instead of "fetuses."

I understand his indignation. While I was pregnant, I searched desperately at the store for the section of clothes for women accommodating a parasitic womb inhabitant. Oddly, I found only the "maternity" section.

Other events during my pregnancy were puzzling as well - when the doctor found the heartbeat, I convinced myself that it was simply a mass of tissue beating in a rhythmic fashion.

One night, while I was resting on the couch, a little foot-like impression appeared on my belly, from the inside out. I dismissed that; it simply had to be intestinal.

My friends and I enjoyed cupcakes and tea for my "fetus shower"; what a joyous occasion.

Goodness, all during the pregnancy, I just loved my little ba-, I mean, fetus.

Kerry H., Alexandria


Well done, Kerry, well done.

2 comments:

  1. awwww...thanks for posting, Jennie!!

    Maybe this writing thing will make me start a blog....hahaha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Your letter certainly deserved to be published.

    And you definitely should start a blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design