7 Quick Takes-- One Day Late

Saturday, August 13, 2011

These are kind of a stream-of-consciousness 7 Quick Takes. It's about all I can manage right now.

1. Abby’s pre-op appointments went well. I think there were four appointments in all. We met with several surgical nurses, a neurosurgical nurse, a phlebotomist (named Hannah!) and an anesthesiologist. Abby was a complete doll the entire day, except when she had her blood drawn, but who can blame her there. I have to say, Children’s Hospital really knows what they’re doing. Everyone seems so competent, but yet they also possess a certain compassion towards parents and the understanding that while this may be routine for them, it’s certainly not for the parents.

2. Speaking of the preeminence of Children’s Hospital Boston, we joke that we can’t leave Massachusetts until we’re done having kids. If our babies continue to have craniosynostosis (highly unlikely-but you never know), then we’ll continue to need access to the best pediatric neurosurgeons and many of those are right here in Boston.

3. Speaking of more kids. Amidst all the hub-bub with Abby, I completely missed writing posts on NFP Week and Breastfeeding Week, two topics near and dear to my heart. Maybe I'll still write a few when I get the chance.

4. Speaking of NFP, people have been asking me a lot lately if we plan on having more children. It seems many people assume that since I had such a difficult labor and second c-section, and the fact that Abby needs surgery, and that we could potentially have more children with birth conditions, and yada-yada-yada all the reasons why we shouldn't want more kids that we must be out of our minds to say "next time" or "with the next baby..." But the truth is we love our kids and we love being parents and we most definitely would love to have more (God willing!). Besides, these girls need at least one more sister and probably a few brothers too.

5. Speaking of sisters, my sister Jacqui will hopefully be coming to visit us this fall. She has a very busy schedule, but I’m hoping she'll still be able to make a trip out east. She’s a nurse and with all the hospitals we’ve been to in the last two years (four different hospitals in the Boston area), I have such an appreciation for good nurses. Their care makes all the difference and I'm so proud to be able to say my sister is part of such a wonderful profession.

6. Speaking of nurses, all the medical attention and time we’ve spent in hospitals lately has really deepened my appreciation for good doctors and nurses. Lately, I’ve been toying with the idea of going back to school (when the kids are older) and becoming a nurse-midwife, or a nurse practitioner or even a doctor (yikes-probably not that one). I love the idea of being able to help people through difficult experiences, but of course there are many ways to do that, so we shall see. But I am looking into becoming a Doula...

7. Speaking of going back to school, the start of the new school year is just around the corner. As a student and as a teacher, I've always loved this time of year. There’s always so much excitement and promise of what the year will bring. This year I’ve been thinking more about how exactly we will educate our children. Public school? Catholic school? Home school? Ten years ago I would have never, ever considered homeschooling my children, but now I don’t think it’s such a crazy idea. In fact, I really like the idea. But regardless, I don’t know if we will end up homeschooling or if our kids will go to public or private school. Time will tell.

That's it. Have a wonderful weekend!

For more Quick Takes visit The Conversion Diary. Thanks to Jen for hosting,

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking a lot about schooling (and our baby isn't even born yet!). Homeschooling is very appealing to me, but I'm not sure it's right for us.

    We wanted to us a doula but probably won't (we can't really afford one!). I think that would be a great job though (although probably not for me... I don't think I'm made out for anything that deals with bodily functions/fluids, no matter how "beautiful" and "natural" they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh!! So much here to talk about, so little time!! :)))

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design