Post-Partum Care

Friday, August 26, 2011

Recently, I've realized that in order to have the busy yet peaceful Fall that I envision for us, I need to be in tip top physical shape. I need to take care of myself if I'm going to be able to take care of everyone else.

So I've started my "exercise" routine and began to monitor my diet a bit more. I've also been reading up on post-partum hormones and diet in the book, Fertility, Cycles & Nutrition by Marilyn Shannon. This book really is a must read for every woman.

From re-reading through the book I've realized the importance of continuing to take my prenatal vitamins while breastfeeding and learned that I should also be taking flax seed each day too. Fortunately, I recently bought ground flax seed, so now I just need to be conscious of eating a Tablespoon or two each day. Usually I've been adding it to my smoothie, but yesterday I made Zucchini, Banana & Flax Seed Muffins. I was worried they might taste gross, but they're actually really good.

Here's the recipe. I adapted it from Martha Stewart's Every Day Food Recipe.

1 3/4 cups flour
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 mashed banana
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. banking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes. Makes 12. Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that! Yeah I add flaxseed to my oatmeal, smoothies...but these are a good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...sounds good! I make zucchini muffins for the first time ever earlier this week, so this seems doable. I'll keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design