Childhood

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Yesterday, I read this post by Catholic Icing about creating a schedule for your family. Like many people, I thrive on a schedule. Routines keep me sane. Considering how busy our fall is going to be, I started thinking about a daily and weekly schedule for my little family, which led me to thinking about the long term and how I envision my girls' childhood.

In fact, I've been thinking a lot lately about what and how I want their childhood to be. I think, in a word, I want it to be lovely.

Matthew and I try to be very intentional in our parenting. We have an idea of how we want our home to be and we work hard to make it that way. When Hannah and Abby think back on their childhood I want them to remember fondly time spent playing, baking, reading, laughing and cuddling with Mama and Daddy.

So when I step back from the hustle and bustle and really think about it, here are a few ideas I hope to carry out in the coming months:

* I want our family to pray together, even if it only means grace before meals and a Hail Mary before bedtime. At this point in time, that may be all I can ask for.

* I want our family meals to be healthy, nutritious and homemade. This means I will need to write out a menu meal plan each week, which I plan to do each Sunday.

* I want my children to love to read. Hannah will be attending storytime again this year, but I also want to set aside time each morning to read with her. Although we are very deliberate in reading with Hannah (and usually read to her many times throughout the day), I want to be sure to carve out time each morning solely for reading.

* I want to spend less time on the computer or watching TV. I think that will be easier once our fall schedule commences and we have less time to spend in front of the television. But I never want my kids to think that the computer or TV is more important or receives more of Mama's attention than they do.

* I want to incorporate "nature walks" into our daily routine. As young as they are, both Hannah and Abby really love being outside and I want to try to encourage this as much as possible. Lately, we've been taking walks as a family after dinner each night and we have all loved it. While the weather is still nice outside, I want to continue this as much as possible.

* I want my children to be well rested. This means naps every day and earlier bed times.

* I want Hannah to spend more time with me in the kitchen. She loves to help me stir things, so I want to build on her natural curiosity with cooking.

* I want my children to love music. I usually keep Pandora playing classical music in the background all day, as I believe this adds to the peaceful feeling in our home, but in order to be more intentional in this area, I've signed Hannah up for a Music/Dance class (I am so looking forward to this).

* I want to encourage my children's natural proclivities. That may sound broad in scope, but what I mean is that I want to be sure to always encourage them in what they seem to naturally gravitate towards rather than what I want them to like. For example, I think Hannah really loves to dance. I never really took dance and no one in my family ever really took dance, but if Hannah really seems to enjoy it then I want her to at least let her try it (hence the Music/Dance class).

* Lastly, and most importantly, I want my children to feel loved. Seeing as they are still so, so young, I think it is vital to their development that they feel absolutely, completely and unconditionally loved. Children deserve to feel loved. If I accomplish nothing else on this list except for this one thing, then I shall be a successful mother indeed.

This list could go on and on and maybe I'll continue it another day, but is there anything you would add to the list?

3 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful. I love your ideas.
    From your last post...how do you decide what to make for dinner in the morning? That is so hard for me....but I feel so at peace when I have a PLAN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great post! I want a lot of the same things for my little family!

    I'm a new follower from Catholic Mothers Online. :o) I'm really looking forward to reading your lovely blog! (oh and your little girls are adorable!)

    Jamie
    ForLoveofCupcakes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ker! I'd love to hear your ideas for Isabel.

    As for dinner planning, I rotate a lot of the same meals, so it's not too hard to think up something, but sometimes I do makeup dinner ideas with what we have in the fridge and cupboards. I'll have to write a post about the different meals we rotate through. Are there any meals you guys eat often?

    Hi Jamie! Thanks for stopping by my little blog and I'm glad you like it:)

    Your little girl is adorable too and I'm definitely going to start reading your blog too:)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design