A Great Post on Pre-School

Thursday, September 22, 2011
Sarah at Clover Lane has a great post on pre-school. Read it here.

I love when she says, "it's just one more trickle down effect of our too-hyper, competitive society, with children (babies really!) sent to institutions instead of home with their mothers. They don't need to be "socialized" at 1, 2 or 3! That's bologna. They need their moms. They need to have security, they need naps, they can learn so much at home without 30 other kids jostling around spreading germs to each other. They only get so long in our homes before they are gone, why push them out as babies?"

They need their Moms. I couldn't agree more.

Did I mention that I had looked into our parish pre-school for Hannah? Obviously, we still have a little while before we need to think about pre-school, but I wanted to check out the parish program. Initially, I was really excited thinking it would be a great fit. A Catholic pre-school, at our home parish, we could even walk there. But it turns out the pre-school is 5 days a week from 8:30-2:30. Umm, this is for 3 year olds mind you. I emailed the principal to see if they would accept a student for 2 hours, twice a week. She basically said no. This little "preschool" program wasn't school at all, but daycare.

That seems to be the case for a lot of local "pre-schools." In my opinion, they're just too many hours, too many days a week. I don't need Hannah learning Spanish and doing Algebra when she's three, I just want her to make some macaroni necklaces and finger paint. Even when she's in kindergarten, if she goes to a regular school, I would only have her go for 1/2 the day. Little kids do not need to be in school all day. They need to run around outside and take naps and be with their Mom. They have the rest of their lives to be working all day, the rat race does not need to begin at the age of three, or five even.

Anyways, that's my pre-school rant for the day. Go read Sarah's post, she says it much better than I do.

1 comment:

  1. Some of the countries with the most successful school systems don't start compulsory education until age 7 (although I think a lot of kids go to preschool programs starting around five). I don't see what the rush is, if education is done right, you don't need to start when you're three!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design