Post-Partum Weight Loss

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Coming to terms with my post-partum figure has been a lot more difficult this time around, a lot more. I think it's mostly because it's summer time. When Hannah was born in the dead of winter, I could hide my chub under sweatshirts and puffy vests and none was the wiser. Since Abby was born in June, I didn't have that luxury. My pooch is out there for the world to see, and they do see it.

On Saturday one of my students (I teach a Math class in Chinatown every Saturday morning) asked if I was having a baby. That was awesome (although I did laugh--you gotta have a sense of humor about these things). Then yesterday, another woman asked when I was due. Although, in her defense my friend that was with her asked how my baby was, so maybe she was a tad confused. So that's pretty much where I am with my weight loss goals-- still looking 5 months pregnant. Yeah, that's fun.

But reading back through my blog, I discovered that I didn't really start losing weight after having Hannah until she was about 3-4 months old. So, I'm hoping that will start to happen with Abby. Hopefully the breastfeeding will kick in soon and the weight will start coming off because people, I have 30 pounds to lose. 3-0. That's a lot of lb's.

I was lucky enough to lose all the weight with Hannah (I gained about 60lbs with her), so I'm hoping I'll be fortunate this time around too. My problem is that I just gain so much weight when I'm pregnant. My midwives think it's just how my body deals with being pregnant. And I know it's not that uncommon for normally petite and small women to put on more than the average 25-30 lbs during pregnancy, so I don't feel too bad, I just pray to God the weight will come off.

Accepting my body has been a good lesson in humility. In my previous life, before children, I used to be a runner, so I was fairly toned and thin. Now, well, it seems I'm always pregnant or nursing and as a result my weight has fluctuated so much in the last two years. But you know, my girls were worth every pound.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't really worried about losing weight after the baby is born yet, although I know a lot of pregnant women do. But I've gotten a lot of comments, mostly from family, about it and it just strikes me as so rude. Why should I worry about baby weight until afterward? There is nothing I can do about it now (I eat healthy, and I'm certainly not going to diet and starve myself during pregnancy so I don't have much to lose afterwards). So I've already bracing myself for the comments I'll get after the baby's born about how I need to be losing weight right away.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design