Dear Anonymous

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for your recent comment on my Reece’s Rainbow post. Despite your condescending tone, I do think you made some valid points. You’re right; I should not assume that these children were given up for adoption because of their birth defects. I am sure, at least I hope, that the mothers of these orphans loved their child very much, so much so that they were perhaps hoping to give their child a better life through adoption. And you are absolutely right that we must work to improve the resources available to parents in these countries. 

But the fact of the matter remains, these children are in orphanages and they do need homes. And while it would be ideal to change the government and welfare systems in these countries, such change takes time and these children simply do not have that time.  

Reece’s Rainbow’s primary aim is to help find orphaned children with Down Syndrome the homes they deserve. While there certainly do exist charities that attempt to make a profit through the goodwill of others, I highly doubt Reece’s Rainbow is one such charity. Just look at their website and their blog. This is not a multi-million dollar company. They are simply people trying to make a difference in the lives of children in need. 

I’m sorry that you feel that this is part of a larger adoption “market” targeted towards Evangelicals. I’m not sure where you’re getting the whole Evangelical thing since most of the adoption and adoption advocate blogs I read are Catholic, but no matter. As Christians, we do believe we have an obligation to help orphaned children. So if we are the target audience, then so be it. We should be made to feel responsible because we are. 

You seem slightly cynical and I can understand that. There is much to be cynical about in this world. But I don’t think attempting to help orphaned children with Down Syndrome should be one of them.

God bless you.    

1 comment:

  1. I don't know what the lady wrote, but you are a better woman than I, and more charitable than I would have been, ha ha! She sounds like an idiot or a troll. I had a troll on the Orphan Blog. I learned that that particular one makes her rounds on all the adoption blogs, bad grammar and all. Blech.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design