Why

Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Each blog tends to have its "thing." Some blogs chronicle family life, some are about fashion or food or frugal living, others detail theology and the teachings of one particular faith or another.

I have often struggled to define exactly what my "thing" is on this blog. Mostly and ultimately, it is a family blog. This blog is for my children and an amateur attempt to scrapbook their childhood. I love my children and I want them to know it. This blog is my love letter to them.

Lately, as you may have noticed, my blog has focused a great deal on the orphans of Reece's Rainbow. I can't fully explain in words why these motherless children have so ardently captured my heart, but I think it has something to do with how desperately I love my own children and how no child should grow up without a mother's love and devotion. It breaks my heart to think of a child going to sleep each night without a good night kiss, or waking up each morning without a Mama to cuddle her. Every child deserves a mother and father.

As I was reading the final pages of the book, The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy and Hard Times (love this book, btw, a must read) I came upon this quote which is said by an elderly nun and I felt it so perfectly captured my sentiments:

"Of course not, she snapped sharply. How can you love ignorant, brutish people whom you don't even know? Can anyone love filth and squalor? Or lice and rats? Who can love aching weariness, and carry on working, in spite of it? One cannot love these things. One can only love God, and through His grace come to love His people."

(Sidenote: not to say that these orphans have lice or live in filth and squalor, although some most likely do, but that we must love others because we love God and there are simply no two ways around that.)

So that is why my blog has been devoted to these children as of late. My hope is that perhaps some of you out there reading this will be captured by their faces and become advocates on their behalf as well.

God bless!

3 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful mission for your blog, and it's so important to spread the word about the good work of reeces rainbow!

    Pus your chronicle of your life is pretty awesome too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I meant "plus" not " pus". . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kerry:)

    Now you just need to start a blog too so we can follow the chronicle of your life!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design