Night Weaning

Monday, July 9, 2012
As I've mentioned, I'm attempting to night wean Abby.  I started a few nights ago and so far, so good.

Going into this night weaning process, I wasn't sure entirely what to expect. I never really had to wean Hannah since she pretty much weaned herself by 11 months. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that by then I was already 4 months pregnant with Abby and my milk supply had decreased a lot. Hannah was quite content to move onto formula, cow's milk, water and juice. Needless to say, every baby is different and Abby has moved into the eating-and-drinking-anything-other-than-Mama's milk-territory very slowly, so here we are.

We co-sleep, which complicates things a tad. And I'm against the whole cry it out method, it's torturous--for me.  So my plan has been to simply comfort her and give her a bottle of water when she wakes up in the middle of the night. She does cry a little, but she is usually able to get back to sleep after she drinks her water. I do think she wakes up thirsty, so the water is imperative.

However, the other night she was up for a good hour and a half, which was tough. Eventually I was able to rock her back to sleep, but that was no fun- for either of us.

But I am determined to succeed and I think that's key. Obviously, it would be so much easier to just nurse her back to sleep when she wakes up at 3am, but I keep reminding myself this is all for a good cause. Last night she slept from 10pm-5am straight. I thought that was pretty awesome, for both of us. I nursed her at 5am since I could see the light peeking through the windows and she went back to sleep after that.

So, less than a week into this venture and we're looking good. Please pray this keeps moving in the right direction. Thank you!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design