What a Difference a Year Makes

Wednesday, July 4, 2012
I don't really write too often about where we live, just in case there's some internet stalker out there who wants to hunt me down, but on days like today (the 4th of July), I just have to mention how much I love our little town. 

Actually, our town isn't so little and it isn't so much a town as a city. In fact our city is quite the historical one. John and Abigail Adams lived here. Peacefield is about 5 minutes away. John Adams was born right next to our favorite local ice cream spot and the Adams' attended church across the street from what is now a Starbucks. Our main street is named after John Hancock, whose father is buried in the town cemetery and the colonial troops marched along a nearby road as they went off to fight the Redcoats at the battle of Lexington and Concord. As you can imagine, for a lover of American history like myself, it's a great place to live.

Despite our city's largish population, it still manages to maintain a small-town feel. This is especially evident on the 4th of July. There seem to be neighborhood parades everywhere.

We went to the same parade today as we did a year ago and I can't help but think of how much has changed in a year. My girls look so much older than they did a year ago and they keep getting cuter too. 
Last year-2011.
Today. Don't mind the nose-picker.

My little patriot.
Waiting for the parade.

What a difference a year makes.


My babies.
I can't help but think of how much I've also changed in the last year. Last 4th of July I was recovering from my 2nd c-section and struggling with a difficult post-partum recovery. I was in a much different place then, mentally, emotionally, physically and even spiritually. I wrote about that here. Looking back, I can see more clearly what a challenging and somewhat dark period that was for me.

Having gone through that time, I am so much more appreciative of where I am now. I feel healthy and happy in nearly every aspect of my life. I feel so fortunate to have healed and moved past what I needed to in order to be in the place I am now. Thank you, Jesus, for that.
Shamefully, I didn't have on my red, white and blue.
But life is like that, I suppose. Some years are more challenging than others. One of my favorite quotes from Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston is "There are  years that ask questions and years that answer." I love that book. It appears to me that I am in an "answering" year. Of course with new answers come new questions, but I suppose that thought is for another post.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design