Gentleness

Friday, August 24, 2012

In my most recent Confession the priest encouraged me to pray for and practice gentleness. He said I would be surprised with the great harvest sewn by a tiny seed of gentleness. I love that imagery and I’ve been trying to meditate on that idea. 

Gentleness is not one of my strong suits, this much I know. I have to try really, really hard and even then my attempts at gentleness probably still resemble Mussolini more than Mother Teresa. But I’m trying. 

I can probably blame part of my Pharisaical nature on being an oldest child. I thrive on rules and order.  If I know something is right and true, then others should know it too. But recently I’ve had a bit of a revelation. My good deeds will be a better example than my good words. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes words are necessary. But I need to let my life speak for itself.

If I want to encourage others to Christ, I must be willing to lead by example. As St. Francis once said, “Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words when necessary.”

This is to be my new mantra. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design