Recommended Reading

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

I may be late to the game on these books, but I recently discovered Brian J. Gail's triology: Fatherless, Motherless and Childless.  The Catholic novel series is described as "a novel for Catholics who are straining to hear their Church’s voice in what Pope John Paul II called “the final confrontation between the Church and the anti-Church, the Gospel and the anti-Gospel.”

I picked up Fatherless on a whim and could not put it down. Currently, I'm reading Motherless on my Kindle and look forward to reading Childless soon. 

You can buy the books here or on Amazon here

Read them, you'll thank me.




Another Catholic novel recommendation is The Third Testament by John Eklund. I had a long review written for this book, but I will sum it up by simply saying it managed to be both informative and entertaining. I learned a great deal about Church history from the storyline. This book would be a great Christmas gift for the history buff in your family. 

You can also buy Eklund's book on Amazon here.   

Lastly, I would strongly recommend A Grace Given. Described as a "book about a father's life in the shadow of his daughter's terminal illness, and the beauty, spiritual growth, and joy that can eventually come from suffering. This is the personal account of the impact that one life, however seemingly insignificant, can have on those around it."

Perhaps because I have experience with my children in and out of doctors' offices and hospitals, I completely identified with much of the story. It was heart-wrenching and beautiful all at the same time. Another must read. 

As a celebratory "going private" party, I will be giving away one of these books to a lucky winner. All you have to do is leave a comment. I'll draw the winner randomly on Friday. 

1 comment:

  1. Ok I own fatherless (but have not read it), and you loaned me a grace given, but you can enter me in the drawing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design