The Implications of Faith in One God

Wednesday, November 14, 2012
From today's Daily Catechism:


IV. THE IMPLICATIONS OF FAITH IN ONE GOD
222     Believing in God, the only One, and loving him with all our being has enormous consequences for our whole life.
223     It means coming to know God's greatness and majesty: "Behold, God is great, and we know him not." Therefore, we must "serve God first".
224     It means living in thanksgiving: if God is the only One, everything we are and have comes from him: "What have you that you did not receive?" "What shall I render to the LORD for all his bounty to me?"
225     It means knowing the unity and true dignity of all men: everyone is made in the image and likeness of God.
226     It means making good use of created things: faith in God, the only One, leads us to use everything that is not God only insofar as it brings us closer to him, and to detach ourselves from it insofar as it turns us away from him:
My Lord and my God, take from me everything that distances me from you.
My Lord and my God, give me everything that brings me closer to you.
My Lord and my God, detach me from myself to give my all to you.

227     It means trusting God in every circumstance, even in adversity. A prayer of St. Teresa of Jesus wonderfully expresses this trust:
Let nothing trouble you / Let nothing frighten you
Everything passes / God never changes
Patience / Obtains all
Whoever has God / Wants for nothing
God alone is enough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
The implications of faith in one God changes everything.

It is often said that we hear only what we want to and see only that which we wish to, but nonetheless from Sunday's Mass readings and now today's Catechism lesson I am hearing: "Be not afraid." God has not given us a spirit of fear.

During this somewhat tumultuous time within our country and even within my little family, this is a much needed message.

We were told on Friday during our meeting with the geneticists that the likelihood of another child with craniosynostosis (and subsequent children) is most likely 50%. They think it's a dominant gene that is silent in one of us and therefore with each pregnancy it is a flip of a coin whether the baby will inherit it.

Obviously this is not the best news, but we had already prepared ourselves for this reality. The difficult part is that we want more children and honestly the thought of having to undergo all of this with say, three more kids, is quite honestly exhausting.

But I have to keep reminding myself that God does not provide us the grace for what-if situations. He gives us the grace to handle what-is and the here and now. If and when the time comes where we must embrace another craniosynostosis baby, then He will provide the grace for it.

We were joking with the geneticists that we hope the next baby has saggital synostosis (what Hannah had) because it was a whole heck of a lot easier to deal with. And we told them that honestly, we feel like we'll be lucky to have one child without it and that we're prepared to go through this a few more times.

They were so surprised at our demeanor. They kept remarking how they couldn't believe we were so calm. I suppose when you tell someone their future children are bound to have birth defects, you don't expect them to make jokes, but what else could we do? Kick over the garbage can a la Andy Bernard?

We are calm. We feel confident that we have the know-how and the doctors to tackle this problem. And we have faith.

My faith has been forever changed because of craniosynostosis. We are forever changed. I suppose it is impossible to go unchanged by the cross of suffering. Yet, despite it all, we feel so blessed. His yoke is easy and His burden is light. I feel like God said "give her a cross of a birth defect, but nothing too serious, she's not that strong." Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design