A Timely Reminder

Thursday, January 31, 2013
As I may have mentioned before, I recently (well, a few months ago) started a mothers' Rosary group at my parish. We are a small group, only four moms so far (and 10 kids between us). We meet every Thursday morning in the lower church basement.

Prior to initiating our little group, I wasn't entirely sure how to organize a prayer meeting. Which prayers exactly should we pray? What should the format be? What the heck am I doing? Truth be told, I figured the Rosary would be the quickest and easiest way to eke out some prayers with kids running around. 

Our meetings usually follow a set routine now. We usually chat for a bit, drink some coffee, get the kids situated.  Then we sit and read the Gospel reading for the day, followed by a quick discussion about the reading. Usually, I share the saint for the day (today is the feast of St. John Bosco) and a few of his or her quotes. We've also recently started reading the entry from the Magnificat for the day. Last but not least, we pray the Rosary. We pray for all sorts of intentions, mostly our children--their health and holiness, for expectant mothers, for our marriages, for an increase in vocations, for women struggling with infertility, for deceased members of our families, you get the idea.

We are often interrupted by a crying child, or someone who needs to go potty (usually this is my daughter), or a baby who wants to nurse. Yet despite these so called interruptions, we continue our prayers. It's understood that if you need to attend to your child, you should do so. Mary would want you to. 

As lovely as our prayer group has been, it has been a bit stressful for me as we've grown from two moms, to three, to four (I sound so dramatic, four moms! From the sound of it you'd think I was leading a Billy Graham revival). But organizing the prayers and making sure I have all the printouts, readings and rosaries, not to mention toys and a craft for the kids can make me feel a bit harried on Thursday mornings. These last few weeks especially, I've been feeling an increasing pressure to "pull it off" and make sure everyone has a nice time and comes back next week. Foolishly, I had placed all the responsibility for the success of the group on myself.

Thankfully today I received a much needed reminder and assurance of who is actually in charge of our fledgling group. After we had prayed today some of the moms were mentioning how much they enjoyed praying the Rosary. For one in particular it had been a while since she had prayed the Rosary, or gone to Confession or even attended Mass. She felt drawn back to the Sacraments. Another mentioned how she readily saw the benefits of praying the Rosary, she felt more patient, more at peace, more focused on God. 

And complete honesty here, when they mentioned this, I was kind of blown away. I had a "duh, Jennie" moment. All this time I thought it was going to be me and my influence of freshly baked goods that would bring these women back to pray each week. I had given myself way too much credit and Our Lady too little. Of course, praying the Rosary, these women would be drawn closer to Mary and therefore closer to Christ and His Church. Of course!  Dumb ox that I am would have relatively little to do with it all. All my job had to be was an "instrument of love in the hands of God." All I have to do is obey, He will do the rest. It was nice to be reminded. 

Our Lady of the Rosary, pray for us! St. John Bosco, pray for us!

For more on how to pray the Rosary, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design