New Year's Resolutions

Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Considering it's nearly February and I'm just starting to think about what I want to do for my New Year's Resolutions this year that should tell you a little bit about the likely success of such resolutions. Meaning, not good.

Truth be told, I love making resolutions. Maybe it's my Type A personality that likes creating and crossing things off lists, but I like having goals and achieving them.

Plus, growing up my parents were big on resolutions. We had to make goals for our mental, physical and spiritual growth. (When the time comes, I fully intend to make the girls do the same.) So when I think about setting goals for the upcoming year, I tend to think in those terms: physically, mentally and spiritually--what do I want to accomplish this year.

For the first time in a long time, I have no real physical goal for this year. Although it would be nice to lose a few pounds, I don't feel like I absolutely have to lose weight (unlike last year). And here's a little secret, I'd really like to have another baby soon (like yesterday), so losing weight is kind of a moot point. One thing I would like to do is to try to make sure that I look somewhat presentable when I leave the house. In that vein I've actually been wearing make-up lately. (This is huge for me!) I bought some mineral make-up with a Christmas gift card and I really like it. It looks natural and it's supposedly good for my skin. Anyways, that sound pretty vain-- "I want to wear make-up for my New Year's resolution," but there you have it.

With regards to my mental growth I am at a lack here too. Last year I wanted to finish my master's thesis and was able to do so. This year, I'm not sure what to do. Although, my new wonderful pro-life doctor that I saw for the first time yesterday suggested that I write an article for a parenting magazine on my experience with craniosynostosis and having kids with genetic issues. She said it could be a really positive thing for some people to read-- to let parents know that it's not as scary as it sounds. I just don't know if would actually be that interesting for people to read. I mean, our experience isn't really that dramatic. But I do like the idea.

On the spiritual front, I've started my mothers' Rosary group and would like to continue that ministry and encourage its growth. One of my friends in the group and I also have big plans for other ministries, but we'll see. Now that I can leave Abby for a time, I plan on attending an evening of recollection each month. And, drum-roll please...I am going to start receiving spiritual direction. I'm really excited about this and am hoping it will prove fruitful.

So those are my non-resolution resolutions. Fairly pathetic. Any suggestions to spruce them up?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design