Friday Pizza

Friday, February 22, 2013
On Fridays during Lent, Catholics are supposed to abstain from eating meat as a penitential observance and remembrance of Christ's Passion and Death (which occurred on a Friday).

However, did you know that prior to the 1960's, Catholics never ate meat on Fridays during the entire year? I had no idea until a few years ago. It was not until 1966 that the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops declared Catholics were no longer obligated to abstain from meat on Fridays (except during Lent) and that they could instead perform some act of Penance or Charity.

Now, I don't know about you, but to me that declaration of "some act" seems very vague and very forgettable, meaning personally, I would forget to do it. And seeing as I am not very creative or inclined to come up some charitable act every Friday, our family simply adheres to the "old ways" and forgoes eating meat on Fridays.

To be completely honest, it's not very difficult and I am quite used to it now. We don't eat much meat in general, so forgoing meat is not a huge sacrifice, but it is noticed and it is felt. But, I love it! It is a small sacrifice made with love.

For the last few months our Friday meal has simply been homemade pizza. Everyone likes it and everyone eats it, so win-win in my book. I use the Smitten Kitchen pizza dough recipe and while it does require a bit of prep and planning, it's definitely worth it.  I usually make two pesto pizzas and we eat nearly all of it. The girls love pizza, Abby especially (she is just an amazing eater). 

Hannah loves helping me in the kitchen and really enjoys rolling the dough. I think she rolled that dough for a good twenty minutes. Friday pizza night is something the entire family looks forward to, myself included. Are there any go-to meals that your family has on Fridays?




1 comment:

  1. My church has soup and stations during lent...yummy soups...all different kinds, and bread, and them stations of the cross afterwards. It's great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design