To My Birthday Girl

Wednesday, January 22, 2014
Dear Hannah Bug,

Happy 4th Birthday, sweetheart! I'm tempted to say that I can't believe where the time has gone, but truthfully, four suits you.
 

You are becoming so smart. You sound like a 30 year old sometimes. The other day at dinner you asked Daddy, "so Daddy, how is your father's brother doing? The one who's in the hospital." (although "hospital" came out like hopstable). We couldn't believe your astuteness (we had been talking about him a few days before). You pick up on everything, which both impresses and slightly frightens us.

I'm sorry your birthday wasn't a little more exciting today. We were stuck inside all day because of the snowstorm, but like always you were a trouper. We had pancakes, played with balloons, watched Despicable Me 2, made snow ice cream (very good by the way), played Candyland and had real ice cream sundaes. When I gave you your present this morning (a Minnie mouse necklace) you said "oh wow, thank you, that was so nice of you, Mama." We love how easy to please you are. For your birthday dinner all you wanted was a grilled cheese sandwich. You're pretty much awesome like that. Thank you.

Thank you for being my go-to girl with Lucas. You are such a good helper. And my how you love your brother. You love him so much that you ask for another baby brother every single day. This future baby brother will be named Nicholas and will have a green helmet. You've got it all planned out. And although I tell you to hold your horses in the baby brother department, deep down I am so happy that you love your brother enough to want another one just like him. You have so much love to give.

I'm sorry if sometimes I rely on you too much. I know that sometimes you become exasperated if I ask you to do yet another favor for me. Sometimes you just want to play, you don't want to get Lucas his binky or feed him his bottle. And I know that, honey. I have to remind myself that although you're our oldest, you're not necessarily old. I'm sorry if sometimes I ask a little too much of you or am a little too demanding.

I've been praying for patience lately and today when I was starting to get a little frustrated with you, you reminded me to "pray to God when you get angry, Mama." Touche child, touche. Your faith never ceases to amaze me. During your prayers you like to tell Jesus everything,  like how you have a new toy phone that makes noises and you mimic said noises just so he knows exactly what you're talking about. You have taught me a lot of about faith and the importance of becoming like a little child.

Last year on your birthday.
Today I told you about why you're named Hannah. How in the Bible there was a woman named Hannah who loved God so much. She was beautiful and smart and she really wanted to have a baby. Before you were born I prayed and prayed just like the Hannah in the Bible to have a baby.  And God answered my prayer. So you were named Hannah. My prayer for you is that you grow to be just like that Hannah, good and beautiful and faithful.


Hannah Claire, your daddy and I have loved these first four years of your life and being your parents has brought us such joy. We love you so much, kiddo. Happy Birthday!

Kiss kiss kiss, kiss kiss kiss.

Love,
Mama












January 2010. Four years ago.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I just love this!! Happy birthday Hannah Claire, you bring so much joy to all our lives!! So sweet Jennie :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design