Lenten Prayer Chain

Sunday, March 2, 2014
Now that Hannah is the ripe old age of four, I figure it's high time she start fasting for Lent. Kidding, kidding. However, I would like to try to introduce/include her a bit more this Lent. Unfortunately, it has proven to be a bit difficult to find age-appropriate Lenten activities for the pre-school set. We're not exactly going to watch The Passion together. 

Although, I am 100% certain this is not an original idea, I came up with a Lenten Prayer and Sacrifice Chain. There are 40 links in the chain (one for each of the days during Lent) and either a prayer intention, a good deed or a sacrifice is written on each chain link.
Hannah and I were actually able to come up with a lot of these together. For example, on one day the link might say, "pray for aunt Jacqui and the baby in her belly." Easy and done. A good deed might be to make some cookies for our neighbor or to let Abby play with her favorite toy that day. Not terribly challenging.
She was really good about coming up with the prayers and good deeds, but the sacrifices, not so much. She was so funny. I told her we were going to do this to show God how much we love him. I suggested that one sacrifice might be that for one day we could not eat chocolate, you know to show God we love him more than chocolate. She looked at me quite incredulously and said, "but Mama, I really love chocolate." I said, "I hear ya, but just for one day, we won't eat it." She looked at me like I had lost my mind, laughed and said, "no, I don't think so." So...this might be a long road.

2 comments:

  1. So hilarious!! Made me laugh. Hannah is looking so much older, time needs to slow down!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, isn't she looking old? My baby!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design