A Time of Advent

Wednesday, December 2, 2015
So...last we spoke, I was stressing about our move. Since then, the sellers backed out at the last minute (WTH?) and lo and behold, we are not moving, at least not yet. I am trying very hard to be patient, but I'll admit, I've cried many frustrated, sad, angry tears.

Yet, the more I reflect upon it, the more I realize how appropriate it is that we are being made to wait for a house during this season of Advent. As the whole world anxiously awaits the birth of the Son of God, we are asked to be a little more patient in finding a home. It kind of puts things in perspective. Regardless, waiting is so very hard, especially when we know there is a great good at the end of the waiting. But wait we must and we must try to do so with grace.

I'll admit, I am not entirely sure what we are supposed to be learning with all these moving false starts. I can reason that God is good and that ultimately, He has our best interests at heart. But it doesn't always feel that way. I also know that God's plans for us might not necessarily mean getting an amazing house at a deal of a price. It might simply mean that through this whole ordeal, we grow in holiness. And although not as visible as a home, holiness is ultimately in our best interest.  

One positive thing about not yet having our own house is that I am reminded of our relative wealth. We have a home, a roof over our heads and food for our family. So many people and families throughout the world do not. And I am incredibly grateful to have what we do. It feels almost greedy to wish for more. 

It is a good lesson for me to not always get what I want. It reminds me that this world is not my home. I will never be truly satisfied here. If all my wants and desires were already met, I would have no need to anxiously await the birth of a Savior. St. Augustine said it best, "Our hearts were made for you, O Lord, and they are restless until they rest in thee."

This period of waiting will not last forever, this much I know. Eventually, we will have a house and eventually it will be Christmas. However, I want to remember what this feels like, if only to appreciate what is to come and to grow in compassion for others. 

Plus, it's hard to be too depressed when I am surrounded by these guys all the time. I mean, seriously.
Is it just me, or does Olivia have a far off look of contemplation? I swear that child is a genius.




1 comment:

  1. This in our Moms In Prayer time this morning:
    "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:9
    Why He's letting you know to wait will be answered in His perfect timing! And yes, how blessed we all are to have shelter, heat, food, and the love of family!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design